Here's a collection of tips to help you get the most out of Outschool and to be a good member of the community.
- Fully read descriptions of any classes you enroll in, and ask the teacher if you have any questions or concerns. You can reach the teacher through the "ask a question" button on the class listing page.
- Message the teacher before enrolling if you have questions or if you wish to enroll a student outside the listed age range.
- Understand that teachers use schedule request to help plan their classes, but may not respond to requests individually.
- Keep communication on Outschool.
- Enroll each participating student individually. Read more about enrolling multiple learners in the same class.
- If you need help selecting classes, consider requesting a free Class List. The Outschool Class List is a comprehensive list of classes that meets your learner’s interests, availability, and other preferences. By providing us with some basic information, we can generate and send you a customized list of classes for your learner.
- If you’re looking for additional support in creating a schedule for your learner, you can request a custom Outschool Schedule. Our expert Planner team will work closely with you to select the best classes for your learner(s), combining them into a compelling customized schedule. Custom schedules are free if you plan to enroll in $100 worth of class over the next 30 days. Otherwise, you will be charged a $20 custom schedule fee.
Preparing for Class
- Subscribe to your 'enrolled classes' calendar to easily see your learner schedules in your calendar app.
- Check the “supply list” section of the class listing page to make sure your learner has everything they need to be ready for class.
- Test a live meeting with Zoom before the class begins.
- Provide an appropriate place for your learner to join the class, including a quiet location and background that is not disruptive to the class or other learners.
- Make sure that any required materials are ready before class starts. Your teacher will let you know in the classroom if your learner needs to bring anything to class.
- Be on time. Put your class on your calendar and check your calendar. Provide advance notice if you’ll miss class. You are not entitled to a refund if you miss class.
- Provide appropriate monitoring for your learner: don’t let them disrupt class for other students.
- Do your best to stay off-screen during class time and wait until after class to ask questions to the teachers. If this isn’t possible (for instance, if your learner requires hands-on assistance from an adult throughout the class), please message the teacher before class to explain your situation.
Working with teachers
- Be kind and respectful in communication.
- Let teachers know in advance if there are particular ways that they can help your learner be successful in class.
- Reviews: Give thoughtful, honest, constructive feedback.
Working with Outschool
- Go to the teacher first with any issues. Come to Outschool if teacher doesn’t resolve the issue.
- Share questions, ideas, and constructive criticism
If you have suggestions to add to this list, please share them with us!