To set your learners up for the best possible first class experience, follow these 5 simple steps:
1. Watch this 2-minute video
2. Download Zoom
You will need to install an app called Zoom (link below). Your learner will use Zoom to connect to the live class on Outschool. Downloading the app is super easy and takes about 10 seconds. You don’t need to set up a personal Zoom account to access Outschool classes, so you can stop when you get to the sign-up screen.
Click here to download Zoom.
3. Watch This Quick Zoom Tutorial
Learn basic Zoom controls to help your learner connect with their teacher at Outschool.
4. Test Zoom
Join a test meeting with your learner to make sure Zoom is working properly on your device.
Click here to test Zoom.
Have your learner practice the following:
- Turn off / turn on microphone
- Turn off / turn on video
- Click the 'Participants' button and use the 'raise hand' button
- Click the 'Chat' button and type 'hello!' into the chat box
5. Prepare for class
- Review the Learner Code of Conduct with your learner.
- Make sure your learner’s webcam is working so they can check-in with the teacher at the beginning of class.
- Find a quiet place for your learner to attend class that is not disruptive to the class or other learners.
- Make sure that any required materials are ready before class starts. Your teacher will let you know in the classroom if your learner needs to bring anything to class.
Five Minutes Before Class Starts…
6. Go to the classroom
- Log in at Outschool.com (make sure you're logged in using the parent's email address associated with their Outschool account).
- Click "schedule" in the upper right
- Click on the class title
- If you’ve enrolled more than one learner in class, you’ll be asked to select which learner is entering class.
- Once selected (or if you only have one learner enrolled), you’ll see a big green button that reads “Enter classroom as [Learner Name].” Click on it to be taken to your learner’s classroom.
- Your learner will then see another big green button that reads “Join Live Meeting.” Click this button to begin your live Zoom class!
If you see a message that says "Please wait for the host to start the meeting" - be patient! Your teacher will arrive soon!
That's it! You're ready to start learning! 🎉
If you experience tech issues...
Note: Outschool teachers will do their best to assist you if you experience tech issues during class, but remember - their primary focus is on creating an excellent learning experience for all learners, so their ability to troubleshoot with individual families is limited.
A note on safety:
Learner safety is our top priority. Learn more about how we keep kids safe on Outschool and what you can do to help.