Tax Reporting Primer

How educators can report their Outschool earnings.

Elizabeth O'Donnell avatar
Written by Elizabeth O'Donnell
Updated over a week ago

Outschool educators are classified as independent contractors for tax reporting purposes. Regardless of where you are located, it is your responsibility to report your earnings from Outschool appropriately based on your local and national laws. This applies to all payment types received from Outschool.

All payments to educators are handled through PayPal. Under U.S. IRS regulations, PayPal is required to send you a 1099-K report and report your earnings to the IRS if you both A) earned more than $20,000 in a year and B) received at least 200 PayPal payments (see below for a couple exceptions by state).

Outschool does not directly provide tax reporting forms. If you did not meet the requirements above to receive a 1099-K from Paypal, you can request a report. You should search for 'Payments received' for the relevant year. If you sent money back to Outschool, then you should take account of that as well. You can also find some basic information on your earnings through Outschool by visiting your Detailed Stats page.

Read on for more specific information by teaching location.

For Educators in the United States

PayPal provides a form 1099-K below the $20,000 threshold under the following circumstances:

  • You reside in Vermont, Massachusetts, Virginia, or Maryland, and have earned more than $600 USD, regardless of the number of transactions.

  • You reside in Illinois and have earned more than $1000 USD, through at least 3 transactions.

For Educators in Canada

Please contact our Support Team ( for assistance with tax reporting. Note that we are only able to provide general information about your learners from Canada, in line with our privacy policy.

Did this answer your question?