Here at Outschool, the safety of our community is our number one priority. Our objective is to maintain and improve the trust and safety of our users. One critical step in protecting our classroom community during each class - and in promoting open and positive communications - is to ensure through a video check-in that each participant is in fact a child (ages 3-18). We do recognize, however, that not all learners have video verification capabilities or do not want to enable video for a number of reasons. To accommodate those learners, we’ve added a new identity verification process.
To summarize, as an Outschool teacher you must confirm that all learners are indeed children through one of three mechanisms:
1. The learner’s video is enabled throughout the class
2. The learner connects with you via video at the beginning of class, to allow you to verify the learner’s identity (the learner can then disable video after her check in)
3. A “verified” badge appears next to the learner’s name in your class roster. If a learner has a verified badge, they are cleared to have their video off during class and have been verified by a member of our team
There may be situations when you cannot confirm the learner’s identity via one of these methods. If this occurs, please:
(1) Gently explain our policy and let them know you’ll follow up after class;
(2) Remove them from class;
(3) Notify us at email@example.com.
After class, please contact the parent to explain the policy (if relevant), and present one or some of the following options: (1) transfer the learner to another section so she can make up the missed session with video enabled; (2) provide access to the class recording after the learner has gotten the verified badge; or (3) withdraw the learner (learn more about managing enrollments)
If you run into any issues with parents over this process, we’ve got your back. Direct them to us for a refund (we’ll take it out of our pocket, not yours) and let us know if you receive a negative review as a result of this policy; we’ll investigate and remove the review as appropriate.
If you have any questions about a specific situation, please don’t hesitate to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. For reference, parents can find the policy here and we will proactively share this policy with families to eliminate any confusion.
We appreciate all that you do to help kids love learning.