Longer summer camp hours give educators a chance to dive deep and interact with their learners in a meaningful way. To ensure the time is productive and worry-free, Outschool educators must proactively mitigate any potential problems to keep their classrooms safe and comfortable.
According to our learner safety policy: “A teacher must be present and supervising a meeting at all times.” In other words, learners should never be left alone in class. To comply with this policy, we’ve put together guidance to help you monitor your classroom while it’s still live and you’re not on camera, as in a longer, camp-style class. We want these longer classes to be fun and a comfortable learning environment for everyone, so we encourage scheduled breaks. But we also want to make sure that learners don’t interact with each other, unmonitored, during those times.
Safely creating a break time should help maintain a cordial classroom and give learners and educators a bit of space to privately decompress in a secure place away from each other.
First, we ask that all educators offering longer, summer camp programs review and refresh their knowledge of Zoom features, including how to stop your video feed, remove learners from the meeting and disable chat or annotations. Mastering these features is critical to keeping your classroom safe.
In addition to reviewing Zoom’s features, the next section includes specific tips on how to keep your classroom safe during breaks.
Safety tips for class breaks
Do the following:
- DO turn off your live camera whenever you step away.
- DO remember that Outschool allows no substitutes or unsupervised guest speakers.
- DO turn off all learners’ live-video camera feeds when you are away.
- DO remind learners that they may not share personal emails, addresses, phone numbers, gaming handles etc.
- DO disable all chat functions when you step away.
- DO be sure to verify each learner briefly on camera after each break.
- DO monitor classroom walls and discussion at regular intervals after you’ve been away.
- DO be mindful of safety issues and proactive in safeguarding your classroom.
- DO feel free to contact support or our safety team with any questions at any time.
Avoid the following to prevent problems from arising between learners:
- DO NOT allow learners to remain on camera or become a meeting host while you are not on camera.
- DO NOT assign a learner to host the meeting at any time.
- DO NOT allow learners to share any personal contact information.
- DO NOT allow learners to message through live chat without you around to monitor.
- DO NOT assign learners to unmonitored break rooms during a teacher’s absence.
- DO NOT forget to verify all learners briefly on camera when rejoining after a break.
- DO NOT allow learners to hang out together during breaks or after class.