Your teacher profile video is a tool that you can use to market yourself to parents, showcasing your professionalism and personality.
Guidelines for your profile video
- Recommended: 30-90 seconds in length (required: 10 seconds - 5 minutes long)
- Clearly show your face for at least part of the video
- Speak clearly and in an engaging manner
- Good lighting
- No background noise
You can easily create a professional, high-quality video using your computer or smartphone. Record directly using Outschool’s recording feature, or record separately and upload to Outschool. Our technology supports video uploads of up to 100MB. If your file is larger than this, you will need to compress it in order to upload it to Outschool.
Below are some tips to help you make a great video:
A/V and setup
- Audio: Make sure you can be heard clearly with no background noise. Typically headphones or an external microphone will produce good quality sound
- Video: Smartphones and laptops will do the trick, or you can use a digital camera if you have one.
- Framing: Place your camera or device at eye-level on a stable surface to capture your full face and head. If you don’t have a tripod, use a stack of books or a box to achieve the desired height. Don’t hold your phone or camera in your hand as it will produce a shaky video, and be sure to shoot horizontally.
- Lighting: Your face should be well-lit either by natural light or by lamps. If you can move your lamp, place the light directly in front of you, a few feet away.
- Setting: Showcase your “home classroom” where you will teach classes - this will set expectations for the class experience. Make sure that you don’t have clutter or anything else unprofessional behind or around you. It is OK to feature multiple settings if you choose to edit your video.
What to say
- Introduce yourself with your full name.
- Briefly go over your professional background. Mention any experience or education that will help build your credibility as a teacher.
- State the topics or specific classes you are teaching, explaining why you’re a great person to teach these.
- Describe your teaching style or philosophy around teaching.
- Be personable and connect with parents and their learners. Tell a fun fact about yourself or what you’re interested in.
- The profile video should be used to introduce yourself as a teacher and is not intended as a demo lesson.
- Create a short script and read it aloud before recording. This will help you sound more natural on camera.
- You don’t have to get it right on the first take. Give yourself a few chances to feel comfortable. Watch your video to check how it looks and sounds before you submit it.
- If you want to edit your video to add photos, music, or anything else, you are welcome to do so; however, it is not required. The recording feature on Outschool does not support editing, but you can upload a video that was recorded and edited with your own software.